6 WAYS TO BE FILLED WITH JOY EVEN THROUGH THE SILENCE
Happy Friday! Now it’s off to this long 3-day weekend. Woohoo! Hope you find some encouragement to finish off your week. These are 6 ways to be filled with joy even through the silence (solitude). 6 ways that seem so simple but can actually be some of the most difficult things to do as active human beings.
I discuss this with my girlfriends all the time- it’s so easy to be filled with the lies of the enemy rather than filled with joy when you’re in the silence. I’m usually a pretty outgoing, positive, extroverted person (ambiverts, you understand!), but we still get peopled out and need our space. I, personally, am a huge home body. I love staying at home and doing things I love such as cooking, organizing, reading, and crafting. However, there are also so many moments when I’m alone where I feel the urge to text someone randomly or check Facebook or IG to see what my friend of a friend is doing at the time so I wouldn’t feel so alone.
Last week at church, we honed in on not limiting our God to the big things because our God is also a God of silence. Anxiousness and desiring immediate answers sometimes steal my understanding of who I am and who He is. So I’m writing this post not just for you, but for myself, completely included.
- Be in the PRESENT. It’s so easy to desire immediate plans, especially this weekend when you see all of your friends go off traveling to somewhere exciting, or have a thousand of things poppin’ and happenin’ on their weekend. And here you are, having zero plans whatsoever. Well, you know what, it’s time to make poppin plans for yourself on that particular day. Sometimes the best kinds of plans are when you have absolutely no plans at all. ZZzzzzZzzz might just be one of them.
- Take 5 minutes of pure nothingness, complete silence, and listen to what the Lord may be up to. Trust me, it’s harder than you think. (Especially if you’re a person that’s always on the go. Hi, that’s me!)
- Remind yourself that YOU ARE LOVED BY AN EVERLASTING GOD. I don’t know about you, but when I’m alone, there are moments where I feel rejected and unwanted because I’m not going out with a group of friends to see the next Bourne Ultimatum or going to that Brad Praisley concert that I see my friends attending. I have to remind myself that these moments alone leave space for me to spend time with the Lord- learning more about myself and who He is in me.
- Go for a jog around your neighborhood or local trail. There’s nothing better than embracing the silence through nature. Basking in all of God’s creation is truly a remarkable feeling.
- Unplug. Put yo phone down and unplug from social media. The best way to not care or envy what other people are doing around you is to unplug. Even just for a day- not only makes you feel way more accomplished (all you procrastinators out there!) but also way more present with those around you.
- Focus on the things you love. If it’s Netflix watching,TLC-ing, cooking, reading a good book, great! Now, get to it! Having a good chunk of time to myself allows me to focus on checking off unattended projects that have been looongg-awaited.
Bonus: Alone time can also mean jamming out to your favorite band. Dance your heart out. Who’s gonna judge?
The Lord your God is in your midst, a mighty one who will save; he will rejoice over you with gladness; he will quiet you by his love; he will exult over you with loud singing. -Zephaniah 3:17